Registration Scheme for Sound Insulation Testing

The  Pre Completion Testing Registration Scheme for Sound Insulation is open to ANC member companies.  There are currently 80 companies registered with the scheme who employ over 300 testers.

1. What is the scheme

Building Regulations require that new and converted dwellings are required (except in certain circumstances) to be tested for sound insulation. Tests should be undertaken by suitably qualified testers who hold approved third-party accreditation in a form approved by DCLG (Department of Communities & Local Government). Members of the ANC Registration Scheme are suitably qualified to carry out per-completion tests. A copy of the BRE Global letter confirming recognition is available here

The ANC Scheme is not a Competent Persons Scheme as defined by DCLG. Competent Person Schemes (CPS) were introduced by the UK Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector. The ANC Scheme does not register individuals and is not self-certification as responsibility for accepting the test results rests with Building Control. There are no Competent Persons Schemes covering sound insulation testing.

2. What are the alternatives

UKAS accreditation of organisations under ISO/IEC 17025:2005 is the recognised alternative. As a company testing sound insulation, you will need to apply to UKAS for accreditation under ISO/IEC 17025:2005, and ensure that you meet all requirements that apply to your company within the standard. You will need to seek accreditation as a testing laboratory even though your organisation is making measurements out in the field. For further details see the UKAS website

3. Who is eligible for the ANC Scheme

The Scheme is only open to ANC member companies, and was established by members of the Association who were concerned at the cost and complexity of registration under UKAS, the only form of accreditation previously available. ANC member companies are already experienced in providing acoustic consultancy services and offer testing as an additional service.
To join the scheme, your company must be providing consultancy in acoustics, noise or vibration. Companies which simply wish to undertake sound insulation testing (and may already be offering services such as air tightness testing, energy assessor), which have no qualifications or experience in acoustics, are unlikely to obtain membership.

4. How do we become ANC members

Membership of the Association is open to acoustic consultancy companies who can demonstrate they have the technical expertise to provide advice to clients. Go to the membership page and complete the form. A full package of information will be emailed to you by return. Part of this are application guidelines which will enable you to assess whether your company is likely to be suitable for Association membership.

5. What courses do you run

ANC does not provide any training courses in sound insulation testing. Our members are qualified acoustic engineers and will have received appropriate training as part of their professional development and academic qualifications.
The IOA Certificate in Building Acoustics Measurement is recognised as relevant training but individuals completing the course must be registered as testers with a member company to enable them to offer testing under the ANC Scheme.

6. New Testers

Existing Member companies may add a new tester by completing the Tester application form and submitting it with an example report undertaken by that individual.  Tester registration is only valid whilst the individual is employed by a Scheme Member. Testers moving to a new employer who is already a member of the Scheme must  follow the new tester application process.