Sound Insulation Testing
Building Regulations require that new and converted dwellings are tested for sound insulation*. Tests should be undertaken by suitably qualified testers who hold approved third-party accreditation in a form approved by DLUHC (Department for Levelling Up, Housing, & Communities) previously MHCLG.
Members of the ANC Registration Scheme are suitably qualified to carry out pre-completion tests in accordance with Approved Document E ‘Resistance to the Passage of Sound’ of the Building Regulations and its equivalent in Scotland.
Why use an ANC tester
- Fully accredited to undertake sound insulation testing
- Additional support in the event of test failures
- Accepted for BREEAM credit compliance
- Supported by unique test tracking system, allowing direct verification by Building Control Bodies.
- There are over 300 testers who are all qualified in acoustics and can, if required, also provide advice on overcoming problems which may be identified during the test.
- The Scheme has approval from DCLG (now DLUHC) and is referred to in the 2004 amendments to the Approved Document.
- The Scheme has third party assessment of its procedures and operation provided by BRE Global.
- The Scheme provides a unique task number and password for every test undertaken. This, with an ANC sound insulation test report, allows the Building Control Officer to verify the test has been undertaken by a qualified tester. Go to ADvANCE to check your results.
- More than 500,000 tests have been recorded under the scheme.
If you have any further questions regarding sound insulation testing, please refer to our Sound Insulation Testing FAQ’s
Joining the ANC Registration Scheme
The Scheme is open to ANC member organisations who are experienced acoustic consultants. ANC membership is not suitable for those only interested in providing testing services. For further details of membership requirements please request a pack from the membership page. Additional information on the joining the scheme is available here.