Sound Insulation Testing
Building Regulations require that new and converted dwellings are (except in certain circumstances) to be tested for sound insulation. Tests should be undertaken by suitably qualified testers who hold approved third-party accreditation in a form approved by MHCLG (Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government). Members of the ANC Registration Scheme are suitably qualified to carry out pre-completion tests as are companies accredited by UKAS.
The ANC Registration Scheme covers those ANC members who offer pre-completion sound insulation tests in accordance with Approved Document E Resistance to the Passage of Sound of the Building Regulations or its equivalent in Scotland.
List of companies
To search for ANC members registered to carry out pre-completion testing click here and choose Sound Insulation Testing from the drop-down that says Select Service. Then click residential PCT, then the green box at the bottom that says Search for Member.
Why use an ANC tester
- The ANC Registration Scheme for pre-completion testing is as an alternative to UKAS, the only form of accreditation previously available.
- Over 300 testers who are all qualified in acoustics and can, if required, also provide advice on overcoming problems which may be identified during the test.
- The Scheme has approval from DCLG (now MHCLG), and is referred to in the 2004 amendments to the Approved Document.
- The Scheme has third party assessment of its procedures and operation provided by BRE Global.
- The Scheme provides a unique task number and password for every test undertaken. This, with an ANC sound insulation test report, allows the Building Control Officer to verify the test has been undertaken by a qualified tester. Go to ADvANCE to check your results.
If you have any further questions regarding sound insulation testing, please refer to our Sound Insulation Testing FAQ’s
Joining the ANC Registration Scheme
The Scheme is open to ANC member companies who have already demonstrated that they are experienced acoustic consultants. ANC membership is not suitable for those only interested in providing testing services. For further details of membership requirements please request a pack from the membership page. Additional information is available here