Are there any courses I can go on to learn how to become a sound tester?


How do I become a tester?

In order to test under the ANC Registration Scheme you must first be employed by a member company which is registered under the scheme. Your application to become a tester requires a sample report to be examined by the ANC and, subject to this being acceptable, you will become registered to test. The tester application form is available in the members area of the website or by contacting the ANC office.


If you are not employed by an ANC member company, then you must first seek membership of the Association.  Applicants must be providing acoustic consultancy services and be led by individuals with appropriate professional qualifications, namely MIOA (Member of the Institute of Acoustics). Please note that an organisation which only provides testing services is unlikely to meet our membership requirements.

Are there any alternatives to the ANC Scheme?

UKAS accreditation of organisations under ISO/IEC 17065:2012 is the recognised alternative. As a company testing sound insulation, you will need to apply to UKAS for accreditation under ISO/IEC 17065:2012, and ensure that you meet all requirements that apply to your company within the standard. For further details see the UKAS website

We do air tightness testing and want to offer sound testing as well, how do we apply?

Membership of the Association is open only to those companies who can demonstrate they have the technical expertise to provide advice to clients, not merely testing services and companies which simply wish to undertake sound insulation testing would be unlikely to obtain membership. Go to the membership page of the website and complete the form. A full package of information will be emailed to you by return. Part of this are application guidelines which will enable you to assess whether your company is likely to be suitable for Association membership.